| Spoiler warning!|
This article contains plot details about an upcoming episode.
Issei Hyoudou is the main protagonist of Highschool DxD, as well as the fanfiction story, Highschool DxD: Rise of the Solar God.
Unlike the original depiction of Issei Hyoudou, this version exists in an alternate universe in which he is born from the essence of the Shinto Goddess of the Sun and Universe Amaterasu.
Dreading that Takamagahara, and by extension the rest of the supernatural world would be detrimental to her child, Amaterasu sent the infant Issei to live on Earth, where he is found in the Ise Grand Shrine by Mitsuru and Sachiko Hyoudou.
Initially unbeknownst to Issei himself, many dwellers of the supernatural world have all been aware of his existence, and seek either to challenge him, kill him, or to convince him to join their allegiance, much to Issei's own dismay.
Because of this, Issei has come in contact with many of the otherworldly creatures of the supernatural world. Such entities include the Ouroboros Dragon Ophis; who would mark him as her mate, and the Apocalypse Dragon Great Red.
Issei is a 17-year old high school student of average height with brown hair and heterochromia. His left eye is a doe-brown color, while the right eye is a yellow-orange sun-like shade. After he unlocks his full power and makes peace with himself, his right eye gains a brownish hue.
Initially, he is noted for having a innocent face, but later on a more stern look, gains a more muscular and toned build. His common attire is a white, short-sleeved dress shirt with black highlights, black pants, and brown dress shoes. However, Issei leaves his dress shirt open, and wears a red T-shirt underneath it.
Six months later, Issei’s attire consists of a black V neck shirt with black pants, and black shoes. He is noticeably much taller than he was before, and his facial features have sharpened as well.
In contrast to the original Issei Hyoudou, this Issei initially possesses a shy and naive innocent nature. He is shown to be kind, thoughtful, and benevolent. However, his inability to fully interact in most social situations, along with occasional lapses of literal-mindedness, are his most irrevocable traits.
Despite this gentle demeanor, Issei hides and suppresses a great amount of rage that was a result of all the bullying and harassment he endured since he was a child. This hidden fury finally manifested itself when Issei transformed into the first stage of his solar evolution against Riser Phenex. When his rage was fully unlocked, he became a person of pure overwhelming anger with cold-blooded sadistic tendencies.
Overtime, Issei's personality has changed to that of a neutral loner, constantly wanting to be left to his own devices. However, this behavior is often challenged due to the presence of Ophis the Ouroboros Dragon, the Apocalypse Dragon Great Red, and his adoptive human older cousin Leiko Hyoudou. When around his family and allies, Issei shows an honorable and gentle spirit from time to time, and maintains an adamant desire to protect the people around him.
Despite the drastic change in his behavior, Issei retains his compassionate nature, his uneasiness regarding social situations, and is either unaware of well-known sayings, or takes them rather literally out of context. On the other hand, he retains his utterly brutal nature and is a ruthless individual in battle, often torturing his enemies with humiliation, but will destroy them without hesitation.
As the son of Amaterasu, Issei is one of the most powerful beings on the planet Earth, as well of the Supernatural World. He is far superior to the highest ranking of Devils and Angels, though still inferior compared to beings as powerful as Ophis the Ouroboros Dragon and the Apocalypse Dragon Great Red. Even when he was an infant, the immensity of his power was felt by the likes of Devils, Angels, Fallen Angels, and even the Dragon God and the True Red Dragon God Emperor.
With the Sun as his primary source of power, Issei's strength continued to increase throughout the story through unlocking new transformations, and meeting the Welsh Dragon Ddraig, and the Evil Dragon Yamata-no-Orochi, both beings who were sealed in the Kusanagi-no-Tsurugi.
After his body was altered to the physiology of a star, Issei's power skyrocketed to unimaginable heights. Upon absorbing the massive energy of a red supergiant star (UY Scuti), which resulted in the transformation Morning Star Issei, his power increased exponentially, surpassing all of his previous forms.
Immense Godly Power: As the child of Amaterasu, Issei possesses a tremendously vast supply of power. His sheer strength is powerful enough for him to be ranked as one of the strongest beings of the Shinto Faction, and arguably the most powerful being on planet Earth. As an infant, his power was great enough to be sensed by the dwellers of Heaven, the Underworld, and the Dimensional Gap.
Immense Strength: As a Shinto God, Issei is endowed with immense physical strength, sufficient enough to overpower even the most formidable creatures of the Supernatural World with minor effort. While the level of his strength seemed extraordinary by human standards after growing up with them, by the standards of Gods and Buddhas, Issei's power is considered to be extremely monstrous and overwhelming.
Expert Hand-to-Hand Combatant: Issei is a highly capable unarmed fighter. While mostly relying on the Kusanagi-no-Tsurugi in battle, he is not above using unarmed attacks to surprise and incapacitate his opponents.
Highly Perceptive Combatant: Despite his naivety and literal mindset, Issei is a very insightful and crafty fighter. He quickly realizes mistakes in his own battle tactics and corrects them, and almost instantly adapts to his opponent's battle tactics to perfectly counter them.
Teleportation - As a Shinto God, Issei can travel almost anywhere instantly without occupying the space in between.
Apporting - He is able to apport himself and anyone else nearby to anywhere he chooses.
Telekinesis - Issei is able to impart kinetic energy on matter with his mind.
Immense Stamina- Due to being a Shinto God, Issei's stamina is tremendous, as he is able to use the power of the Two Heavenly Dragons, and an Evil Dragon, without suffering any ill-sided effects.
Regenerative Healing Factor - Issei can heal from any bodily damage given to him completely so long as one cell or even molecule remains. The level of his regeneration increases drastically if he is near the Sun or a star.
Absorption- Issei has the ability to absorb powers that retain Solar and/or light essence, as shown during his battle with Riser Phenex.
Solar Power- Issei is able to use the power of the Sun by absorbing its massive energy. He can also combine his solar energy with the power of the Two Heavenly Dragons and the Evil Dragon inside him.Soul Transfer- By utilizing Ddraig's transfer ability, Issei possesses the power to transfer a portion of his soul into an inanimate object, in order to prolong his existence.
Super Solar Form
The first evolution of Issei's solar transformations. This form was achieved by Issei during his battle against Riser Phenex in a bout of rage. While in this state, Issei's hair spikes up in a orange-yellow color, and he loses the pupils and irises in his eyes. His body is surrounded by a golden aura.
Issei gained this form by absorbing Riser's flames while he was in his Super Solar form. In this form, his hair reverts to its normal style, though it is black in color. His left eye returns to the color of brown, while his right eye acquires a black-grayish color.
Super Solar God
Issei's ultimate form which was gained by him absorbing the Sun entirely into his body. His hair lifts up slightly and is now a reddish-purple color. His eyes are sharpened, with his irises gaining a red shade. He is also much taller and thinner compared to his previous transformations. He is surrounded by a explosive and flame-like aura.
God Beyond Solar
This is the form Issei assumed after his body was physiologically altered to that of a star. In this state, his power far surpasses that of his previous transformations. His body is imbued by a golden glow, and a double blazing aura of blue and white.
Morning Star Issei
This form was achieved by Issei absorbing the red supergiant star UY Scuti. In this form, Issei's hair adopts a light pink hue in color, with the hair possessing pure-white highlights. His hair grows longer and becomes even more spiky, making his hair more defined than his other previous Super Solar transformations, along with disappearing hair strands surrounding his forehead. His facial features are sharper, and his eyes are more menacing looking. His brown eyes change to a dark green-gray color, while his aura appears to be crimson-red on the inner layer, and the outer layer a darker shade of fire-like orange. The aura is also accompanied by bio-electric sparks, and his body is surrounded by an ominous black glow. Another peculiar characteristic of the transformation, is the small but distinguishable wisp of hair that juts out from the rest of Issei's hair. While in this state, Issei's body possesses a seemingly infinitely rising battle power.
Tier: 3-A | Potentially 2-C
Name: Issei Hyoudou
Origin: High School DxD: Rise of the Solar God
Classification: Shinto God with Solar/Stellar Physiology
Power and Abilities: Superhuman Physical Characteristics, Master Hand-to-Hand Combatant, Master Swordsman, Fire Manipulation, Heat Manipulation, Solar/Stellar Ki Manipulation, Flight, Afterimage Creation, Energy Sensing, Reactive Evolution (Becomes stronger from being damaged), Regeneration (Likely Mid-Godly), Immortality (Types 3, 4, and 8), Teleportation (Via Instantaneous Movement), Telekinesis, Telepathy, Ki Sensing, Can transform to increase his power even further, With the fragment of Ddraig and the Yamata-no-Orochi's souls sealed within the Kusanagi-no-Tsurugi, he is able to boost his own power and transfer a portion of his soul to survive.
Weaknesses: Initially, if the Sun is either shielded by an eclipse or destroyed, his body is unable to absorb any more solar energy, leaving him powerless | When his body becomes a star, this weakness no longer hinders him.
Destructive Capacity: Universe level (far above baseline universal) | Universe level+ (his attacks become much stronger and catastrophic in his Morning Star transformation).
Speed: Massively FTL+
Durability: Multi Solar System level+ | Universe level+ (very difficult to kill)
Lifting Strength: At least Class T+ | Stellar+
Striking Strength: Universe Class | Universe Class+
Stamina: Very large.
Standard Equipment: Kusanagi-no-Tsurugi (with the souls of the Welsh Dragon and the Yamata-no-Orochi), Morning Star Halo, Demon Swords.
Intelligence: Though somewhat literal-minded, he is an insightful and serious fighter who is capable of thinking up clever strategies on the fly.
- Destroyed Riser Phenex.
- Bisected Kokabiel, and would have destroyed him if not for the arrival of Vali Lucifer.
- Overpowered the Evil Norse God Loki, and stabbed him with one of Fenrir's fangs, leaving Loki severely weakened.
- Successfully defeated Fenrir by ripping out parts of his fangs, which are said to be able to kill even the most powerful beings, including Gods.
- Eradicated Susanoo-no-Mikoto.
To be continued...
Key: Solar Physiology | Stellar Physiology
Ame no Murakumo no Tsurugi (天叢雲剣, lit. "Sword of the Gathering Clouds of Heaven") is a Holy Sword of Shinto legends that rivals the original Excalibur and Durandal. It is also known as the Kusanagi no Tsurugi ("Grass-Cutting Sword"). Unlike the other Holy Swords, that are said to be forged by God, the Ame no Murakumo no Tsurugi was found inside the body of the legendary 8-headed Evil Dragon, Yamata no Orochi.
The Ame no Murakumo no Tsurugi was originally a gift handed to Amaterasu by Susanoo as a sign of the latter asking for his sister's forgiveness. Years later, around the time of the Great War, the Angels, Devils, and Fallen Angels interrupted the battle between the Welsh Dragon Ddriag and the Vanishing Dragon Albion, causing the Dragons to attack the leaders of the Three Factions. In retaliation, the leaders destroyed the Dragons' bodies, and opted to seal them. However, while Albion was sealed in the Divine Dividing Sacred Gear, Ddraig was sealed in the Holy Sword, the Kusanagi-no-Tsurugi by Amaterasu, marking him as the second soul to be sealed in the Kusanagi, the first being the Yamata-no-Orochi.
The Kusanagi-no-Tsurugi holds the spirit of the Red Dragon Emperor Ddraig, and a fragment of the soul of Yamata-no-Orochi. While its standard form is a regular Holy Sword, the Kusanagi can also take the form of a Black Dragon Armor with red jewels, due to it encasing the spirits of two Dragons.
|“|| Quick, what was Siegfried doing before you captured him?
What was Siegfried doing before you took him to your team for interrogation? Was he fighting someone or something beforehand?
Yeah, he was fighting Hyoudou. But why is any of that important?
He was fighting Issei Hyoudou? Oh no. No, no, no, no, no, no!
What is it? What does Siegfried fighting Hyoudou have to do with the Demon Swords?
Don't you get it?! The Demon Swords didn't show any signs of rebelling against Siegfried before he fought Issei Hyoudou!
So what are you saying?
I'm saying that perhaps all five of the Demon Swords have chosen Issei Hyoudou as their new wielder.
|~ Georg and Vali Lucifer, discussing about Siegfried and the Demon Swords.|
- Gram (グラム, Guramu): The Demonic Emperor Sword, and the Sword of the Sun. It is a Dragon Slayer sword with massive destructive power, and is sharper than most Holy Demonic Swords. Georg reveals that after Siegfried's battle with Issei Hyoudou, Gram was the first of the Demonic Swords to reject Siegfried, and choose Issei as its new wielder.
- Balmung (バルムンク, Barumunku): A Demon Sword from Norse mythology with a drill-like aura. It is capable of creating powerful whirlwinds.
- Nothung (ノートゥング, Nōtungu): A Demon Sword that can rip through space-time.
- Tyrfing (ディルヴィング, Diruvingu): A Demon Sword that can create craters.
- Dáinsleif (ダインスレイヴ, Dainsureivu): A Demon Sword that creates huge pillars of ice from the ground.
The anthropomorphic personifications of the Demon Swords are based on as follows:
- Gram - Girlycard (Alucard's female form) from Hellsing
- Balmung -Super Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann from Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
- Nothung - Bernkastel from Umineko no Naku Koro ni
- Tyrfing - Ainz Ooal Gown from Overlord
- Dáinsleif - Shiba Miyuki from Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei
The Demonic Kusanagi is a Holy Demonic Sword that is formed by the union of the Kusanagi-no-Tsurugi and all five of the Demon Swords; Gram, Balmung, Nothung, Tyrfing, and Dáinsleif. As a fusion of a Holy Sword and the five Demon Swords, the Demonic Kusanagi wields tremendous offensive power that is far greater than its components, possessing all of their abilities expanded to colossal degrees. Due to its nature, it also wields divine and demonic abilities, with each of them strengthened by the power of the Red Dragon Emperor Ddraig and the Yamata-no-Orochi.
The Morning Star Halo is a double halo of light with five spikes that was created by the effects of the True Longinus' forbidden form, The Truth Idea. It was granted to Issei by the blessing and will of the God from the Bible.
Effects: The Morning Star Halo imbues its user with several powers, due to it being blessed by the will of the God from the Bible.
- Unfettered Body: The Morning Star Halo grants its user with immortality and invulnerability, allowing him or her to live forever without fear of ever being harmed physically. The user is also immune to all diseases.
- Reactive Adaptation: The user is imbued with the ability to either instantly develop powers or abilities to deal with threats or their bodies dynamically learn from experience. Depending on the user's control of the power or genetic structure, the reactive effects can be permanent or temporary.
- Adaptive Power-Level: The user is given the ability to spontaneously and quickly increase their power-level to match those of superior opponents and overcome excessive hardships. This adaptation applies to all personal parameters, physical, mental and even existential.
- Adaptive Regeneration: The user is able to regenerate and adapt in response to bodily harm, anything from becoming less prone to scratches to being impossible to cut, a slight immune system boost to becoming invulnerable to any biologically debilitating conditions or even increasing their own power in response to a stronger opponent, from extremes such as a brief regenerative boost to even becoming immune to being killed the same way twice, this can be triggered from virtually any damage as long as it can be regenerated regardless of the method.
- Reactionary Immunity: The user can become instantly immune to any power that is used against them.
- Immunity to Samael's Curse: Due to being created by the effects of the True Longinus, with the Longinus containing the will of the God from the Bible, the user is unaffected by Samael's poison, as it is God's Curse.
- This incarnation of Issei is often referred to as Solar God!Issei, or Solar!Issei, to differentiate from the original Issei Hyoudou. His new alias, due to his body becoming the physiology of a star, is Morning Star!Issei.
- Issei's ability to transform from the use of his solar powers is based on that of the Super Saiyan transformations from the series Dragon Ball Z. Also, his use of the Kusanagi-no-Tsurugi (with the sword containing the spirits of both Ddraig the Red Dragon Emperor and the Yamata-no-Orochi), strengthened by Issei's own solar abilities, derives elements from the character Genryūsai Shigekuni Yamamoto from the anime series Bleach.