Heroic Sacrifice is a common theme for certain heroes and is linked to The Noble Choice, Facing the Enemy, and Negativity turned Positivity - it is reserved for heroic or supporting characters who embrace their last moments with acts of honor or morality (usually to show they are willing to redeem themselves or undo their wrongdoings they indirectly caused). However, it wasn't always the case.
While some examples of The Noble Choice are non-fatal, ALL examples of Heroic Sacrifice are lethal, by its very definition - also many heroes who died with honor are directly responsible for their own demise (for example a character may know they are about to die, as their last action was one of nobility or kindness - thus making them an example of this theme). In rare case, sometimes they revived, either by certain circumstances (like unintentionally awoke their dormant power like Eren) or by others.
However this does not apply to only heroes who sacrificed their lives; it also applies to those who nearly died in saving others.
There are essentially three kinds of Heroic Sacrifice:
- The one at the beginning of the story, which sets the tone for the rest of the tale/movie/series.
- The one in the middle of the story, wherein the Heroic Sacrifice leads to new heights of being the most dangerous character, or new depths of depression, in the characters who are affected by it (depending on the story.) Sometimes both.
- The one at the end of the story which serves as a most memorable aspect. Often, these ones dies in a heroic sacrifice at the end.
This is essentially the direct opposite to the Moral Event Horizon.
Live Action Films
Cartoon and Animated Films
- Emilia Rojas of The Breathless Dragon: At the last part of the climax, she threw herself in front of Sawyer, who stabbed her with his claws, then a rock his chanted eye, allowing Cresil to attack him.
Manga and Anime
Live Action Tv
- Shamira of Good Wolf: Wrath of the Waterfall: She put herself in front of Ciar to save him from being killed by Menora, who ends up kicking her in the neck.
- Spyro Doomfire of Margra Batto And Kyra Verbeten: Sacrificed herself with an Execution to Defeat InJustice and Save the Entire from his Tyranny And Enternal Doomsday.